Wednesday, January 2, 2019

What an Early-Stage Alzheimer's Individual Hopes You Understand

from the Alzheimer's Association publication "Understanding is the first step to helping".

  • I am still the same person I was before my diagnosis.
  • My independence is valuable; ask me what I am still comfortable doing and with what I may need help.
  • Keep me engaged by inviting me to participate is activities we both enjoy.
  • Don't make assumptions - every person is effected differently by Alzheimer's disease.
  • Ask me how I am doing. I am living with a disease just like cancer or heart disease.
  • talk to me directly to involve me in meaningful conversation.
  • Don't pull away or hide. It's OK if you do not know what to do or say. Just be my friend.
Realize that my family may need time to adjust. The larger the family, the more interpretations that may exist. We need time to ourselves and we need time with you. Stay connected with us. Know that every kind gesture is appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment