Sunday, January 13, 2019

Being Kind - Reflections of Fred Rogers

I recently finished the biography of Fred Rogers, the famous Mr. Rogers of the Neighborhood. The opening begins with this quote:
          There are three ways to ultimate success:
          The first way is to be kind.
          The second way is to be kind.
          The third way is to be kind.
Wow! Doesn't that seem simple. And yet it seems that being kind, especially being kind in that gentle, loving way of Fred Rogers, is a challenging endeavor. Should it be? I think not, however, for me when things get rough, when someone has been tough, when I am feeling blue, my initial reactions are shock and disappoint, but then it seems I quickly move to anger then resignation. At I time when I  need to shine my brightest and kindest, I duck and cover and try to heal and forget.
So kindness in all situations, meetings, and interactions has been added to my New Year's Resolutions.
When someone rejects my ideas, I will show appreciation of the opinion and most often accept that no matter what I do, the other person will not budge in my direction. I will be kind.
When someone spits anger at my suggestions, I will nod in a knowing way while accepting that things most probably will not change. I will be kind.
When someone stomps on my heart to break my will, I will ever-so-slightly grit my teeth, smile as I realize my current tact is of no avail. I will be kind.
And finally, I will strive to demonstrate kindness as I show appreciation and acceptance of a differing viewpoint, and quickly regroup my beliefs and values and plunge forward.
Fred Rogers' book came to me after a bleak and hurtful response from a board to whom I had hoped to offer a terrific product. I have searched high and low for a suitable solution to this dilemma, a way to clarify and clear misconceptions, and I know above all I must be kind. Minds are set; my explanations will not resonate; my reasoning will be ripped.
Yep. You guessed it. I will be kind as a calmly exit the scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment